Jewish Alliance for Law and Social Action (JALSA) Organizer – Western Massachusetts
JALSA is looking for a part-time Western Massachusetts based organizer. JALSA, a membership-based social justice organization, is devoted to the defense of civil rights, the preservation of constitutional liberties, and the passionate pursuit of social, economic and environmental justice for all people. The organizer will be responsible for building and strengthening our base of members, developing programming, and engaging progressive activists and leaders in statewide public policy campaigns. This is a new position that will serve to expand JALSA’s advocacy efforts across the Commonwealth.
Develop Strategy and Tactics
- Exercise independent judgment to meet campaign goals
- Develop creative campaign tactics and implement strategic plans
- Create work plans and structures for volunteers and local group leaders to carry our campaigns to advance JALSA priorities
Build Relationships and Organization
- Work closely and effectively with Western Mass JALSA Steering Committee
- Have structured conversations and interactions with local group leaders including Jewish communal and spiritual leaders and activists to advance organizational goals
- Encourage people to take action and to take ownership of their local groups
- Assess group leaders and activists; identify and develop leaders
- Debrief and reflect; engage in critical analysis
- Create a culture of accountability, urgency, warmth and hope in all interactions with local group leaders, volunteers, and other staff
- Effectively plan and delegate work
- Manage time and resources to maximize organizational impact
- Coordinate the work of volunteers and group leaders; provide guidance and mentorship
- One or more years of organizing experience for a political campaign, community, or advocacy organization; in particular demonstrated ability to work with millennials or younger.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Outstanding leadership qualities and the ability to inspire and connect with Jewish social justice activists and community leaders.
- A demonstrated commitment to meeting high standards and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles.
- Proven success developing relationships and building a base to support a cause.
- The ability to master a complicated political landscape quickly and thoroughly.
- Demonstrated ability to break down large projects into smaller discrete tasks that can be distributed to multiple volunteer leaders who then feel ownership over their piece of work.
- The ability and willingness to work some nights and weekends (schedule is flexible).
- Experience planning programs and facilitating large and small meetings.
- A sense of humor, a passion for social justice and making positive change in the world, and a genuine commitment to working in a collaborative team setting.
- Ability to work with volunteers to develop their skills in communicating through social media platforms
- Access to a car with a valid driver’s license
This is a part-time $12,000 a year, 8 hours a week position based in Western Massachusetts and includes benefits. This position requires access to a car with a valid driver’s license. Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 1, 2017.